Monday, March 17, 2008

Passion Play

On Saturday evening Mal and I went to Ashgrove Baptist Church to see their passion play, Jesus, Liar, Madman, God! and it was absolutely incredible. This play was presented at this church a couple years ago and we were unable to attend because of commitments to our own church but made the point of attending because my son-in-law John had a major part.

Written by one of their own, this drama was the story of Jesus condensed to 1.5 hours, was told in modern Australian language and characters were in modern clothes. I was totally caught up in the play. I think for me the best part (other than John's characters) was the Jesus character. He was a bit wild, free, and alot loving and caring, just how I believe Jesus to be. This Jesus was very much like the Jesus who Scot McKnight described in chapter 4 of his book The Story of the Christ.

Many of the actors had 2 or maybe even 3 parts. I was impressed how they changed clothes and character so easily. John was Caiaphas and Thomas and he switched between the two parts flawlessly. And so did all the actors. The band was just a professional as the acting. The lights and sound matched. Well done Ashgrove Baptist, way to bring glory to God by telling the story of the Son.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I thought John was Thomas and Caiaphas.

But I agree with everything else...

Linda said...

You are correct. I will make the correction.

Thanks. I get confused or in a hurry or both.