Monday, October 05, 2009

Mental Health Week

I got this joke from my family, that said they had heard that all the mentally ill were being deported and that they thought of me and said, "Run my crazy little friend! run!" I thought it was funny and forwarded to a friend of mine who also thought that it was funny. I think we thought it was funny because we feel a bit crazy sometimes (okay, many times). However, mental health is not a joke. I have family, friends and acquaintances that suffer from mental illness. This week in Australia is mental health awareness week and I encourage people to go along to activities in their communities to learn more about mental health. It should be a subject that we speak about as freely as breast cancer or seat belt safety. Mental health issues should not be deep dark secrets. We as a community should profess to support and pray for people we know with mental health issues the same as we support and pray for friends with other problem. No problem. Okay then.

No comments: