Thursday, February 22, 2007

Righteous Indignation

I watched as young men vandelized the train. I was eventually able to notify an offical but by the time I got to the official I was angry. Very angry. I think that I was angry about the helpless feeling that I had. I was unable to stop them. They were 2 and young and am 1 and old (by comparison). As I watched, they took no heed of me because they knew that I was helpless. Ha, I showed them. The rail offical had police officers there in a moment. While that was important, the vandels were stopped, I was still angry. My evening had been ruined, I missed my bus while doing the "right thing". I felt as if I was the person paying for their bad manners. I guess, I was. Sleep brought a brighter perspective. It was pointed out to me that "righteous indignation", anger, prompts us to action, to do the right thing in spite of the problems the action may cause ourselves. I certainly did not think about missing the bus at that time. I was only driven by anger to stop the bad behavior. Do you suppose that is how Jesus was feeling when he overturned the tables in the temple?

No comments: