Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I have been reading

I know that I should be writing.  But I have been reading.  I am on the fourth book in the Ancient Practices Series.  I finished reading Sabbath by Dan B. Allender and am nearly finished with Fasting by Scot McKnight.  Mal is also reading the series.

The style of each book and author, I suppose is quite different.  We have found all these book to be a bit challenging.  There have been many opportunities for us to test out what we are being challenged about, in general, why are practices important to begin with and do they matter to our daily life.  I have to answer a resounding yes.

I have been trying to figure Sabbath out for some time and this book was a terrific resource to do just that.  As for Fasting, I have learned that I have not understood the purpose and motivation of fasting at all.  Fasting as presented by McKnight makes much better sense. 

Why do the practices make a difference?  Well, I live and work in a world that is constantly trying to distract me from my joy.  The more set I am in my practice the more difficult for the world to distract me from that the more complete and consistent is joy.

No comments: