Monday, May 14, 2007

Guarantee


As I see it, I have one guarantee; life eternal with my Lord. I write as a reflection on my daughter’s wedding to a wonderful man name John. During the day, I so enjoyed watching them smile. They are truly happy and seem to me to be well suited for each other. John’s best man commented that he has never seen the “well-balanced” (John’s Dad’s words) John so happy.

I wish that somehow I could promise them life long together. I do not wish them an easy life because I believe much character and strength and wisdom and hope (Rom ) is built through trials. But I do pray for them that it is a life-long marriage. But….I can’t guarantee that. Now that I think about it, I cannot even guarantee them long-life.

During the vows, I prayed that they would not suffer broken vows and divorce like I did. But I can’t guarantee.

I am aware that there were people at the wedding struggling from the recent results of broken marriage. I wish I could have guaranteed them a life-long marriage as I prayed for them at their wedding.

Not long after the beautiful wedding yesterday, I was notified of family members whose behavior was not in the least bit marriage strengthening for them. In fact, the behavior puts the marriage at risk. I can’t guarantee not even for my family.

The fault of course is sin. Sin, I define as separation from God. My marriage broke down when my ex-husband made choices that separated him from God. As a result, I guess I became closer to God; my response to trials that build endurance, character, and hope.

I cannot really comment on any other marriage break up but I reckon someone walked away from or never had God in most cases. I see marriage at risk when people step away from God.

It is so easy to do. Young couples, like I was and did, get married, get busy, have kids, life is good and going to worship becomes difficult. As the church attendance waned so did my connection with God. I turned back to God after time but my husband came and went and finally went permanently.

The guarantee was and ever will be God. My prayer for you Deb and John, and all people, is that you stick close to a church and to the people who will help you and pray for you and challenge you to connect and reconnect with God, your guarantee.

Amen.

1 comment:

Erin Marie said...

Amen indeed.