Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Small

I am small. This is not some sort of self-bashing. This is a fact of creation. God is very big. The universe somewhat smaller and that is pretty big so comparatively I am small. I am however, larger than my friend Bunsen’s 3dz2 orbital density plot (a plot of electrons).
I like being small compared to God though. I thank God that I do not have to worry about planets and their rotations or how life lays dormant in a seed. Being small means I don’t have to go it alone. I can hang around with other small people and let God be God.

Being small allows me, for example, in a theological debate to see that at the beginning of the debate is another small person who desperately wants to bring glory to our great big God. The debate itself indicates there are many small people who want to get it right (knowing what is right to God is possibly not within our reach but we debate in order to get as close to right as we can). And while the debate and my study goes on so that I too might get closer to right, I figure that if God calls into use this small cracked pot to deliver his message then it is probably close enough to right for his purposes at that time.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I like this. I think you're right, and I think that your post puts things in perspective - not just that God is big and we are small, but that we are all small people trying to make sense of a big God.

I really like it.

Mike Hatcher said...

It is fun being small again. When I was a child, my mom and dad made me feel secure. I didn't worry about where to live, what to eat, any bills (what were those?) All I cared about was getting along with others and hoping they would share their toys. As a grown up, I like God taking care of me, so I don't have to worry about a house, food, or bills. It leaves me more time to do other things...like getting along with others and sharing my toys.