Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Visual

Happy New Year. Wow, I have lost track of time. I meant to blog long before now. I resolve to do better this year.

A few weeks ago, we played a Playstation 2, Eye toy game. Mirrors is a simple game that requires you to touch the spots in the corners of the television screen. The eye toy is a camera that puts your image on the screen so you see yourself touching the spots. But then the screen turns like a mirror from left to right. Your image on the screen is now like a mirror and in order to touch the spots on the left you raise your right hand. Then the image turns upside down. Now you move your hand down to touch the spots on the top of the screen. Of course the spots are really at the bottom of the image that you see (you see yourself upside down with spots by your legs) so moving down is logical. However, the spots are at the top of the screen so moving up seems to also be logical. The screen also turns you upside down and mirrored left to right.

I knew before this game that I am a visual learner. So I found this game more difficult than my husband who is a logical person. I had to consciously override the signal that my eyes sent to the brain that said the spots are at the top of the screen as opposed to the bottom of the image.

At times to override what I saw, I had to move my body to the left or right and fool my brain into thinking I was responding so that the correct motion could be made. Otherwise, at times I simply could not move my hands because of the conflicting signals.

I was reminded of how difficult Faith can be. Hebrews 11:1 (NRSV) Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Maybe the difficulty is not in the unseen but in the things we see that are in conflict with the unseen?

1 comment:

Mike Hatcher said...

I totally agree with your comments on Faith. I have been finding out lately how closely related Faith is with Patience. No matter how much conviction I have to things not yet seen and even though there is not a shadow of a doubt that it will come to fruition, Patience has proven to be very hard for me. When I think about the Faith that Abraham had in waiting to be the father of many nations, I find I am admiring his Patience in the form of Trust to be so convicting.