Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ecumenical

As a young person, I recognized that I was formed by several denominational traditions.  I was baptized in the Presbyterian Church not that I remember much of that but throughout the years when we worship with my Gramma it was at the same church that I was baptized in so I imagine there was formation there.  My church memories begin in the Isabel United Church of Christ (UCC), however, we were a rural community and ministry among churches was shared so these early memories of the UCC were influenced by the Methodist minister serving there.  I was confirmed into the UCC by United Methodist minister.  As I became an adult, I found myself drawn to the Methodist church because it was most familiar; fancy that.  After the Methodist minister moved on the UCC was served by a Lutheran minister so much of my youth camp experience was Lutheran.  This does not include Vacation Bible School  (VBS) that we attended every year with my cousins.  VBS was run jointly by an Assembly of God and a Lutheran Church.  It was at the Assembly of God church that I made a commitment to Christ, whatever that meant to a 9-10 year old.


My ecumenical formation continues.  My supervisor, for a few months while I was in field placement at the Lutheran Church of Guam, was Brad Boydston.  He introduced me to lots of people (through blogs) from the Evangelical Covenant Church. 

I attended lectures on Old Testament Law by Terence Fretheim, Lutheran.


I had the opportunity to listen and speak to Bishop Nazir-Ali, Anglican (see post).


I recently attended lectures on the Spirituality of Mark by Bill Countryman, Episcopalian. 


As well as, formation from all my lectures by the local Uniting Church of Australia, Anglican and Catholic lecturers who are part of the Brisbane College of Theology.   


I am in formation with the Uniting Church of Australia and am committed to the Basis of Union.   There is no doubt in my mind that I am where God wants me to be.  Yet I find it extremely interesting that my formation has been and is still so ecumenical.  What a blessing!


No comments: