Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Complacency

Complacency

I was visiting with my Dad not too long ago, when I commented on people that are “way smarter than I am”. He stated that it may not be a bad thing to keep notice of that. By noticing I would never become complacent. We went on to discuss how complacency fills work places with unhappy workers and fills churches with people wondering why they don’t get anything out of worship anymore. They have become complacent so do not put anything into it and in return get little out of it.

My Dad is a wise man for the most part and I am proud to have him for my Dad. I will work hard at whatever I do, meaning I will try not to be complacent, so that I can honour him. I will keep this in balance, though, with the notion that he is already proud of me, so I have nothing to prove.

God is wiser than my Dad. With God, I have even less to prove but still need to work at not being complacent. Right now, while I am studying, that is relatively easy to do. I am confronted daily with ideas that are bigger than I am and feel often that I am on the edge of this great revelation but never quite getting it.

My challenge, when in full time ministry, will be in spite of the routine to be excited, as I am now, to continue to learn and seek knowledge as if I am always on the edge of that big discovery.

1 comment:

Erin Marie said...

The thing I find difficult is trying to balance not being complacent - and noticing that other people are smarter/funnier/more mature/have it more together than me, but without belittling my own intelligence/sense of humour/maturity/emotional growth.

I think I oscillate between the two. Never quite complacent, but never quite sure of myself either.

I'm not sure it's such a bad thing.