Friday, March 30, 2007

Calculated Risk

Just about everything a minister does has risk. The simplest greeting, “How are you doing?” can be responded to in anger or fits of tears. This does not mean that we should not take the risk; it means that we need to manage the consequences.
Here is how I do that.
First, I recognize that I have baggage. I have baggage from previous relationships of all sorts that have left me hurt and believing a pack of lies. These packs of lies create my baggage.
Random tangent, I think that over the years, I have become reasonably good at shedding baggage, both literally and figuratively. In my life I have made major moves that have required me to shed almost all of my personal belongings. Twice in my life I have started completely over in a totally new environment with only 12 suitcases/boxes between me and my girls. I have learned not to be attached to material things. My lounge suite is nice but if God says; it is adios lounge (I hope not again but we will see).
Likewise, the figurative baggage, I have learned to shed by holding on to truth. You see if you hold onto truth, you don’t have hands available to hold onto the baggage. That’s how I see it anyway.
Back on track, to manage consequences, the second thing is to realize that others have baggage. They may not define their baggage like I define mine so will not comment on others baggage but I know that their baggage is likely to contain some untruths or unhealed hurts, or unforgiveness of others or self.
After both of these issues are recognized and are in the open; it is much easier to respond to the unexpected in a calm and loving way. Many times, the loving response is all that is needed to right the situation. Sometimes, I will have to help people offload baggage. How? You might ask. Get them to hold onto truth. But I will save that for a future blog.
PS: I am working risk assessments that include God in the consequences. Keep ya posted.

No comments: