Friday, June 15, 2007

Fight or Flight

Today, I met with my supervisor at his office at the Bible College. I am in the Air Force Reserve and came straight from the base to his office so was still in uniform. It also meant that I was coming to the college from the opposite direction and when I got to about where I thought it was and didn’t see it, I stopped at a shop and asked a young man if he knew where the college was. He point just there. I was close so headed back to my car then he called to me. I stopped and he asked me, “Why do you want to go study Bible and go fight for our freedom?” I stopped dead in my tracks. I was late for my appointment so I gave him the easy answer, “I am just going there for a meeting.” But then I did not have long enough drive to campus to really give this deep thought so here it is on the blog. The truth is I don’t want to fight for freedom. I don’t want to fight period. This was probably not true when I enlisted, oh so many years ago. I have put too much time in to just give up the retirement benefits. And most of the time I enjoy my military work because I can do ministry and serve people where I am. I was told by my commanding officer that I have a certain ethic about me. Could it be….God? I believe so and the comment tells me that God is working there. Tough question, why study the Bible and fight for freedom? I feel called where I am so could say, “God told me to.” Or I could just say, “I have a meeting.

No comments: