Tuesday, June 26, 2007

From humiliation to humility

Just over 5 years ago on Guam, I had to get some paperwork from the public health office. I remember this experience as humiliating. First of all, this is not a nice building, run down, and abused. I was ignorant of the reason that a healthy person with insurance would have to go to “public health”. I was very prideful because at the time, I was living well below the U.S. poverty level and had insurance and enough money, so it seemed an insult to me that I had to go hang out at public health with “real” poor people. I was concerned that I would be judged as in the same category as everyone else there. You know the stigma thing. Maybe, it wasn’t only pride, a bit of fear because my family and I were so close to being there in need.

As God would have it, I had to go back again for the same piece of paper. The original had been lost from my record. I hoped that public health would have the record and could copy it but no, I had to go through all interviews and steps in the process all over. However, this time I was not humiliated. I was humble. I sat with people in real need. The number of children out numbered adults. They were all patiently waiting there turn, no one complained. Most people even seemed grateful to have a place to turn to in their need. There was no stigma. I was there for what I was there for and everyone else was there for whatever they were there for. I was too caught up in myself to notice anyone else the first time.

I thank God for the opportunity to see how much I have grown by this sort of apple for apple comparison.

No comments: