Friday, June 08, 2007

My Home?

“This world is not my home; I’m just a passing through...” All houses are temporary.

I have invited people to our house for dinner. Then I had to say, the Pastor’s house, but had to change that again because the house belongs to the church. I invited my friends to my temporary house to which the response came all houses are temporary.

I fully understand that I am in this lovely location in Guam for another 8 or so weeks but we have a townhouse in Brisbane, how long will I be there? A couple of years probably, Mal and I purchased it with the intention of staying forever. Even then, I knew that was not really true and just a figure of speech. Even when we bought the house I knew it was just for a time until God called.

Ever since we purchased, we thanked God for the home and prayed that God would use it for his purposes. But often I forget that it is God’s house. I wanted new floors, I was planning new floors for me. I hate the existing floors and was demanding new ones. God said, “It’s not your house.” Then, tiles began to fall off of the bathroom wall. I was devastated. Now, we have beautiful new bathrooms and fresh paint in the bedrooms and the same floors. Not my plan, I was happy with the bathrooms. But the result, I need to not plan so much and just let it be God’s house. God can plan and the results are beyond my dreams and better than what I would have done.

If God can do that with a house, what would happen if we gave him all our possessions? What would happen if we gave him our lives?

“My treasures are laid out somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door and I can’t feel at home in this world anymore.”

3 comments:

Erin Marie said...

God told me that he wants me to have your house when you're done with it.

*innocent look*

Linda said...

Which one, the building one or the human body one? Someday they both will be up for grabs.

Erin Marie said...

Umm...

*wrinkles nose*

I don't think I really want the human body one.