Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I thought wrong

I thought I would not like reading Calvin.  I was wrong.  There are bits I am uncomfortable with but there is so much good.  

For example Institutes 1.6.1
God therefore bestows a gift of singular value, when, for the instruction of the Church, he employs not dumb teachers merely, but opens his own sacred mouth; when he not only proclaims that some God must be worshipped, but at the same time declares that He is the God to whom worship is due; when he not only teaches his elect to have respect to God, but manifests himself as the God to whom this respect should be paid.

Interesting that since 1559 or something like that it hasn't changed God still informs people that they should worship God as opposed to everything else and that He is indeed God.  Deut 6:4 Hear O Israel: The LORD is our GOD, the LORD alone!

Will we ever get it.....

1 comment:

Mike Hatcher said...

It amazes me how most people believe they are going to go to heaven, but their actions on earth are contrary to what heaven would allow. They want to go, and they could taste some of it now, but instead act as if their actions on earth won't carry over. If God does allow them in with His sovereign grace, how much fun would it really be for them? God certainly wouldn't be able to say, "Welcome to my home, be yourselves."